Many people switch to electronic cigarettes because these products can be a greener choice. E cigarettes provide just that perfect touch! But are electronic cigarettes the solution to reducing the carbon footprint?
Many of us are worried about reducing our carbon footprint and leading a greener lifestyle. A major pollutant in most societies tends to be cigarettes. Cigarettes not only come with lots of packaging that gets disposed of and fills up landfills, but cigarettes themselves produce toxic secondhand smoke that harms air quality. In addition, cigarette butts can litter the streets and take a long time to decompose.
1) E cigarettes have fewer chemicals. Traditional cigarettes are made with multiple ingredients and chemicals, including toxic ingredients. When cigarettes are smoked, they produced tar and other toxic pollutants as well. In fact, traditional cigarettes have more than 4,000 chemicals and a 2005 Italian study concluded that air pollution caused by cigarettes is ten times larger greater the pollution caused by diesel car exhaust. In contrast, e cigarettes are often made with flavoring, nicotine, and all-natural ingredients. For many vaping enthusiasts, this brings a lot of peace of mind.
2) Vaping does not produce second-hand smoke. The “smoke” is actually water vapor. Secondhand smoke from traditional cigarettes is known to be cancer-causing pollutant. With e cigarettes, the “smoke” like substance that is produced is considered less toxic by a number of researchers.
3) No butts. Cigarette butts are made from a type of plastic known as cellulose acetate. Cigarette butts can take one to five years to decompose and are one of the leading causes of litter on beaches and roads. Each year, about 4.3 trillion cigarette butts are thrown away all over the world. In contrast, e cigarettes do not create butts.
4) Reusable parts. If you decide to try e liquids, you can reuse cartridges. In many cases, you can also use rechargeable cases for years. Many of the parts included in a e cigarette are recyclable or reusable. These reusable parts mean that e cigarettes can produce less waste and less litter than traditional cigarettes. Some companies also offer refills of cartridges or have recycling programs. This allows you to ensure that cartridges and batteries can be recycled and disposed of safely.
5) Rechargeable batteries. Most e cigarettes come with rechargeable batteries, allowing you to get the most life out of each battery before they have to be disposed or recycled. In addition, many brands work hard to produce long-lasting batteries so that you do not have to dispose of them for some time. electronic cigarettes have a great battery life.
6) Less fire hazards. Incorrectly extinguished cigarettes cause many fires – including wildfires – each year. These fires cause not only devastation but additional pollution. E cigarettes do not pose the same hazards since they do not heat to the same temperatures and since vaping does not include tossing away a cigarette butt. Electronic cigarettes also do not require lighters or matches, which cause many unintended fires each year.
Return to eCig Buying Guide